Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First My Wife Now the Feds

A guy can't get a break.

From CNN
Court allows agents to secretly put GPS trackers on cars

(CNN) -- Law enforcement officers may secretly place a GPS device on a person's car without seeking a warrant from a judge, according to a recent federal appeals court ruling in California.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents in Oregon in 2007 surreptitiously attached a GPS to the silver Jeep owned by Juan Pineda-Moreno, whom they suspected of growing marijuana, according to court papers.


It was bad enough that my wife secretly had a GPS chip implanted in my head while I was passed out after my bachelor party (shh she doesn't know that I am on to her) but now the cops can plant a GPS device on my car without a warrant. What is this country coming too? I'm sure the founder father's would have been more than ok with King George putting a tracking device under their horse's saddle.

I mean I accept that behavior from my wife, I figure it's implied in the marriage contract. It does present some difficulties after going for a run if I stopped for any length of time. "Honest honey I was in the porta-potty for half and hour, that chili con queso you made last night did a number on me. What's that? Why yes the porta-potty was inside a Hooters restaurant. Go figure."

Listen I am not advocating growing marijuana, at least not unless you are gonna share with a stressed-out father of 12. But do we really want the police sneaking around our houses and putting tracking devices on our private property? What's next? Mind reading chips? National identity cards (oh yeah they are in the works)? Medical information chips under the skin (oh wait another bad example)? There is a line of Brazilian lingerie that has built in GPS! Really! How romantic can you get?

Of course if they could implant a GPS device in my teenagers I just might change my mind....



No comments: