Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shaving Update

This is an update to my Shaving post from August.

I took the advice of a commenter and switched to a Safety Razor.

This is the type of razor your dad or granddad probably used. I remember my old man using one. I'd never tried one before but after reading up about them I decided to give it a try. It seemed that it would be a better shave and even cheaper than the disposables I had been using.

So I bought a cheapo one from Amazon, this is the one I purchased. Yes its really only $2.08 (as of today) and it comes with a blade to get you started. I've used this razor about 30 times now and it works great. Someday I may upgrade to a nicer one but this one is just fine. And the blade that came with it lasted for 15 shaves before I changed it. I have no idea how they can sell this razor for only $2.08, made with slave labor I guess. The $2.08 includes shipping, be forewarned it will take a few weeks to get to you from Hong Kong.

I bought these blades which were $6.00 at Amazon at the time of purchase. That is for a box of 100. They have since gone up a few dollars at Amazon but are still a bargin.

I am getting at least 15 shaves out of each blade, and since I shave every other day, it should be 100 months (over 8 years) before I have to buy blades again.

There is a bit of a learning curve with using a safety razor. Just use Google for suggestions on how not to slice your face off. I've shaved about 40 times with the razor and have yet to cut myself.

You can use regular shaving cream, which is what I did at first. Then I decided to try the old-style soap in a cup and brush way. I bought this starter set from Amazon for $8.99. It has one block of shaving soap, a brush (boar's hair, how cool is that) and a mug. And it's working great so far. I also got a case of shaving soap through Amazon's subscribe and save program for $16.31. One block of shaving soap seems to last forever, I'm thinking I will get 4-6 months out of each soap stick/block.

I fogure I have enough shaving supplues to last me at least 5 years. All for a total cost of $33.38. And going forward the costs should be even less unless I have to replace the razor or brush.

As for the shaving itself, its actually fun to use this setup. The shaving soap works great and so does the $2 razor. The learning curve is not difficult and the shave is closer than with a disposable or electric razor.



1 comment:

Maurisa said...

Don't let the disposable razor industry find you!