Top 10 Young Ladies
The daper Seacrest starts off my introducing the gals to us, including the sick Crystal, and then we get the judges comments regarding last nights performances by the dudes. Question: areRyan and Ellen long lost twins?
Once again they try to play-up the Kara flirting with Simon angle. It worked well with Paula, with Kara…not so much.
1) Crystal Bowersox – “As Long as I can see the Light” by CCR – Miss Bowersox is doing the song in a quasi gospel/Janis Joplin style. She is definitely one of my top two females this year, Siobhan being the other. While this is a slower song that I wouldn’t normally care much about, she makes it real and it works for her. Randy digs the chick for being herself. He loves her and she’s hot. Ellen, well who cares about Ellen. Kara and our main man Simon are onboard too. Grade A-
2) Haeley Vaughn – “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus- Oh boy this has the potential to be Hindenburg bad, she might actually make Miley sound good. Ok on the plus side she’s not as bad as she was last week. And she seems like a sweet girl. But I think she needs to go back to during things like high school plays and musicals and take it from there. I mean she is only 16 so she has time to work on the performing thing. Randy gets it right, go figure and Ellen seems to be trying to channel Paula without the fun. Kara doesn’t like it either. And Simon says he doesn’t want to pile on but he’s pretty rough. Grade D-
Pizza commercial – great now I’m hungry.
3) Lacey Brown – “Kiss Me” by Six Pence None the Richer - Lacey likes antiquing. She is trying to appeal to the 50-something gay male vote – could be a winning strategy. Ok I like Lacey, she’s sweet and cute and quirky and I like her voice but the singing is just so-so tonight. Get into it more girl! That being said it was better than last week. With any luck the young boys and men will notice her pretty eyes and vote for her. I’d like to see if she can get better. Randy plays the dreaded karaoke card on her. Ellen thinks she is adorable, of course she does. Kara and Simon thinks she stepped it up from last week but needs to step it up even more. Grade C-
4) Katie Stevens – “Put Your Record On” by Corinne Bailey Rae – Katie can say “give me a kiss” in 6 different languages, that should make the 17 year olds parents proud. Katie is filling the pretty young brunette role this year. Ok this is much better and much more current than the old fashion performance last week. I like her voice. Randy says there were some bright moments. Ellen things she needs to be younger still with her song choice and needs to sing something more for her age. Kara is frustrated, probably because hippy-boy isn’t singing tonight. Simon says she needs to tell them what kind of artist she’s going to be. Grade C
5)Didi Benami – "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers – Didi likes to meow before going on stage, ok then. Moving right along. Unlike my beloved bride, I do not like this song. It has been done to death. And this is not working for her. She needs to be more current. Fortunately she’s pretty and has a nice voice and should stick around. RanEllara don’t like it either. Didi gets the karaoke label laid on her too. Simon says she continues the cat theme with her singing and wastes and opportunity. Didi looks ready to bawl and bolt and can’t speak. Cold-hearted me actually feels bad for her. Grade D-
6) Michelle Delamor – “With Arms Wide Open” by Creed – Michelle is the kid’s choir director at her church. Going for the Church Lady vote I see. Michelle is a lovely woman and looks the part of a super star diva (in a good way). This version of the song is not my cup of tea. Randy now is frustrated and says the song fell flat. Why is Ellen commenting on pitch problems? The only thing she knows about ‘pitch’ is when she plays softball. Kara loved it. Wouldn’t go that far. Simon agrees with Kara. Apparently they both got high together during the last break. Grade B-
7) Lilly Scott – “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke Lilly likes to play with a little keyboard thingy. Ok let’s get this singing going. I like Lilly and she is playing a 12-string tonight. A singer who can play an instrument goes up a few notches in my book. While I would prefer it to be more upbeat, but I really like it. Randy says she is unique and its his favorite tonight. Ellen says she has “IT” whatever it is. Kara loves it too. Simon gives it a qualified great. Grade A-
8) Katelyn Epperly – “The Scientist” by Cold Play – Katelyn’s secret is that she wants to be a recording engineer, boring. Katelyn seems to be trying to tame that hair tonight. Come on girl let it flow. I love this song but she’s tad boring. Maybe she should go Lady Gaga on it and set it on fire. On the other hand she has good voice and she’s very pretty. Randy likes it but says it was slow, I agree. Ellen tries to be funny. She’s a comedian; shouldn’t she be able to do funny? Ellen also says it was too slow. Kara kinda loves her. Simon liked the choice of song and says it was much better than last week. Grade B-
9) Paige Miles – “Walk Away” by Kelly Clarkson - Paige’s secret is that she likes to color. But she won’t color outside the lines – boo. I don’t like Kelly Clarkson songs but I like Paige’s performance tonight. Simon appears to have dropped something and is looking under the judges table. That has to be distracting to Paige. Randy was just ok with it. Ellen loved it. Kara plugs herself and pats herself on the back for writing the song – ugh just go away Kara. Simon also says it was the wrong choice. Strangely I agree with Ellen, I liked it. Grade B+
10) Siobhan Magnus – “Think” by Aretha Franklin – Siobhan, the official top pick of Sardonic Catholic Dad, is in the pimp spot tonight, very nice. Glad to know the producers are pumping her up too. Her secret is she had a Mohawk and kinda looked like a boy. There is something cool about seeing a little white girl singing a large black woman’s song and nailing it. Other than her dress looking like it was inside out I loved it all. She has great pipes. How in the heck did she hit the high note? Randy says it was Dope, translation for you old people that’s a good thing for you. Ellen and Kara loved her. Simon calls her such a strange person as a compliment and loved and hated parts of it. - Grade A
Quick prediction of the two to get the boot – Haeley (seriously she needs to be the one to go) but the power of Vote for the Worst could keep her on yet again. And I’m gonna guess Lacey will go home too even though I’d like to see her get another shot. Didi also had a rough time tonight but should be safe.