Tuesday, August 6, 2013

CFL's - Commie Tree-Hugger Plot or Cost-Saving Smart-Move



Should you replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFLs) bulbs to save money?

I have a love/hate relationship with CFL’s. I’ve used them in the past and been less than impressed. I didn’t care for the light they put out, they seemed to last no longer than a regular bulb, and they cost a lot of money compared to regular bulbs.

We have over 90 light-bulbs in our house, I know because I walked through the house and counted them. And with 14 people living here right now, only 1 who seems to know how to actually turn off a light. That would be the person that pays the electric bill. And since the bulbs have come down in price recently, I am willing to try them again.

I’ve decide to give them another go, but only in select places. I am not going to put them in the kids desk laps and floor lamps. They tend to knock those over a lot and bust the bulbs. I’d rather they break a cheapo incandescent bulb. And I am not going to put them in lights with dimmer switches since this wears the bulb out real fast.

I am going to put them in all our recessed lights (30 bulbs), ceiling fans (5 fans worth), our front porch lights and regular lamps in the living room and master bed room. Hopefully in these locations they will be safe from destruction by the little minions.
 
Pros – last longer (10 times), use less power (75% less), they supposedly save $40-$50 over the life of the bulb.

Cons – cost more, can’t dim them unless you buy really expensive dim-able ones, they look ridiculous, take a while to warm up, if you break one you’ve wasted more money than with an incandescent, they contain mercury, did I mention they look ridiculous? You aren't supposed to throw them in the trash, you are supposed to recycle them, but I have no idea where to do that around here. If one breaks you need to take precautions when cleaning it up, Google how to do it you do break one.
So I bought these at Amazon. $1.32 each at time of purchase. I got 40 total of them. Gonna give them a try, again. I’ll report back in a few months on how they are working out.

LED bulbs-there are supposedly superior to CFL’s, but with the current price of 1 bulb costing as much as a nice steak dinner, I am passing on these for now.

I did finally figure out a way to get people to not turn on every light in the house.





1 comment:

Karen Howard said...

According to the website for the local landfill, Lowes and Home Depot both take (non-broken) CFLs for recycling.