Friday, April 11, 2008

Where Oh Where Has My Little Dominic Gone...

Be very glad you can’t hear me singing.

Every night before we go to bed around 10pm, Sam likes to go up stairs and check on the kids. I’m not exactly sure why. They were fine earlier when we (read she) put them to bed. Maybe to make sure their blankets haven’t been kicked off (I figure if they get cold they will pull them back on), maybe to see how cute and peaceful they are when they are sleeping (it’s about the only time they are), maybe to make sure they haven’t tried to tunnel out again, maybe to make sure they aren’t having séance and casting spells on their parents or to make sure they aren’t having a kegger and Porky’s marathon (and haven’t invited us) anyway she does it every night. Must be a mom thing. Is that it? Is it a mom thing? Or a nice person thing? Neither of which I am.

Anyway the other night Sam was pretty tired but I knew she wouldn’t go to sleep until she had checked on them. So I said I’d go do it. I know, I know, I spoil her too much. We have 2 bedrooms on the first floor, ours and the babies. There are 5 bedrooms upstairs. I checked on the 3 middle boys room first (ages 6, 8 and 10). And low and behold, Dominic (6) isn’t in his bed. For some reason his brothers (actually almost every kid) were awake. So I asked them where he was. “I don’t know. We haven’t seen him in a long time”. Thanks guys, that’s a big help. So I check all the other bedrooms…no Dominic. Hmm he did come in from the after dinner walk Sam took him on, didn’t he? Go back downstairs and tell Sam I can’t find him. She says to look under his bed since he falls to sleep in strange places at times. Like at the dinner table or on the stairs or during the Pastor’s sermon…wait I do that too…never mind.

So I trudge back up stairs and no Dominic under his bed. Ok know I’m starting to get a little worried and I get the teens to help me look for him. We finally find him, asleep and under Elizabeth’s (13) bed. He is all the way under there. Why? I don’t know. Why is the sky blue? Caleb grabs his phone and takes a picture but it’s too dark to post it here.

I debate whether to drag him out and carry him to his bed and risk waking him (plus it’s a pain) or just leave him and go to sleep and risk him waking up in the middle of the night and wonder where in the heck he is. I opt for the former cause I’m a great dad. So I slide him out and carry him to his bed and I even tuck him in. I told you I was a great dad.

The next morning I quizzed about sleeping under there. Apparently his older sisters were listening to stories on CD and he wanted to listen too. He knew they would have chased him out and sent him to bed. So he snuck in the room and hid under the bed to listen and fell asleep while there. So nothing nefarious was going on. Just another day of family life. At least it’s never boring around here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, it's not a mom thing to check the kid (s). I don't check Amanda, John does. I only look in on her when he tells me she's sleeping oddly. I'm a bad bad mom.