Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wimbledon 2008

I didn't get to watch tennis today. Swim meet in the AM and wedding in the afternoon/evening.

So recapping by just looking at the scores.

Nadal won :) 7-6, 6-2, 6-3 over Nicolas Kiefer of Germany.

Richard Gasquet of France beat fellow Frenchman Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-3, 6-7, 6-3.

Paul-Henri Mathieu of France lost to Marin Cilic of Croatia 7-6, 3-6, 4-6, 6-7.

On the ladies side.

Jelena Jankovic (Serbia) beat Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Venus Williams beat Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez of Spain (and I thought some of my kids had long names) 6-1, 7-5.

Elena Dementieva of Russia beat Gisela Dulko of Aregentina 7-6, 7-5

Shahar Peer of Isreal beat Dinara Safina of Russia 7-5, 6-7, 8-6

Yo Tennis Genius,

How did Nadal look? I'm assuming fine going by the score.

And was the Peer/Safina match great?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TG here. Actually, Saturday was the first day I'd gotten to see any Wimbledon matches live. Because I am a tennis geek, I bought the Wimbledon live package--$25 and I get to watch all the matches I want on my computer, live or otherwise.

I did watch Nadal live. Yeah, Rafa looked very, very good but Kiefer didn't give him much of a match. Next round, Youzhny--I'd be very surprised to see Rafa surrender more than a set. Also got to see some of Andrew Murray, who looked in excellent form against Haas. Next round, Gasquet vs Murray. If NBC was interested in showing the best match, this is probably the one (on paper, anyway). Because NBC completely sucks at tennis coverage, you probably won't see much of it, if any.

Because NBC has such lousy coverage, they were showing V Williams after the match was over, so I went to my computer and caught part of the Peer/Safina match. Saw the end of set 2 and all of set 3. Both played way too far behind the baseline for grass court tennis (see Roddick, Andy). Peer is a speedy little thing with some fine groundstrokes, but I think Safina would have won the match if she hadn't been injured. Wasn't a great match, kinda boring really. I was very disappointed in Safina's behavior after the match--didn't shake the umpire's hand, didn't acknowledge the crowd--poor manners for a professional.

Still looking like an all-Williams final to me--I hope I'm wrong. Men's side, very difficult to predict--there are some very dangerous guys on Nadal's side, but I still think he'll make the final. I haven't seen Fed play, but might watch the Hewitt match after it's over, to get some sense of how he's really playing. Marat is still a dangerous unknown--would love to see him in the semis, but...hard as he's worked off the court, and solid as his mental state seems...he's still Marat Safin.