Thursday, July 31, 2008

So You Can't Smoke Afterwards Anymore?

An oil painting of a nude woman went back on show yesterday more than 60 years after it was banned for being “too brazen” – only to receive complaints about it because she is smoking.

***warning the page that comes up when you click the link above, has a picture of the nude painting***

Ok now that y'all are back. Whats the deal? Explain this to me. Smoking upsets some peoples sensibilities so much now that they are going to complain about the cigarette in a 60 year-old painting instead of the nudity? People it's art. I'm sure after viewing this painting in an art museum, teens are rushing right out and blazing up a Marlboro or a Kool.

Maybe they should airbrush it or photoshop the cigarette out. And while we are at it lets go back through all the old movies and edit out all the scenes that have smoking in them. Should make for some really short movies. Heck we might have to cut Bette Davis and Rita Hayworth right out of the movies. I'm sure we could dub in Miley Cyrus or Paris Hilton and no one would notice.

Davis

Hayworth

This fits in nicely with what the schools are teaching the kids. They teach the kids how to have sex but heaven forbid if you light up a smoke afterwards.


Free Clipart



And for the love of Pete spare me the anti-smoking tirades. No one in my family smokes (cigarettes at least ;)), and just like everyone else out there, we have lost friends and family to cancer. I'm not prompoting smoking, if you want to smoke

But as they say in the Army "Smoke if you got em"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! i love it when you get all fired up... so cute...

and you are right, i doubt any teens are running out after seeing that to smoke. joe camel was way cooler than that chic... :)

you know what got me to smoke when i was 13... nothing (from an ad standpoint)!!!! thats right... nothing!!!! i wanted to be cool and other teens were doing it so i did it... no ad made me want to smoke... kids will always push the rules etc with smokin, drinkin, drug use... its part of rebelling i guess... NOT ALL KIDS BTW... you know what i mean...

Anonymous said...

btw, i really liked the painting... not cuz it was a nude (that was a bonus)... but because it was a nice piece of art...

Anonymous said...

oh, one more thing...

you need to quote mikes hard lemonade using this:

"in a world gone SOFT, someone has to be HARD"

love that!!!!!

Roger Miller said...

I concur, both with the rant and the Donk!

momto5minnies said...

I think if you dubbed in Miley Cyrus or Paris you could possibly deal with copycat behavior ... only because they are current. I think most reasonably smart people ... kids and adults alike, know that the folks who smoked in those old, ANCIENT photos may not have been aware of the dangers.

The real idiots are those who smoke today. They cannot claim to NOT KNOW.

My mom is a smoker and I could go on and on about how I HATE IT.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that my MIL would be ok with the smoking aspect as a former smoker but I know that she is less than thrilled with the fact that we have 3 nudes on the walls of our house. Gimme a break. Art is art. It annoys me to no end when people pick one aspect and have a fit.

JenB